Did you know that it’s the lesser-known holiday of Modernism Monday today? Read on for tips on what to do, where to go, and what to see while you’re in Palm Springs.
Start the day learning about how to make the most of your modern potted garden with “Potted Style” ($10) or catch the Hi-FI Living: the Vinyl LP in Midcentury America talk ($10) at the CAMP Theater. Stay through happy hour for another serving of Modernism with a Twist ($45). Don’t forget to sign up to test drive an Alfa Romeo and enter the sweepstakes to win one! For every test drive, Desert Alfa Romeo will make a $20 donation to to the Modernism Week scholarship fund. Now that’s a win-win!
MODERNISM SHOW & SALE
Today is the last day of the annual Palm Springs Modernism Show and Sale ($20). This year also marks the debut of the Palm Springs Modern Design Expo too ($20; 1 ticket for both shows). Rumor has it that the best deals are to be had on this last day – so hop to it, modernistas!
You can still get tickets at the door to see the 7 Lakes Country Club Home Tour ($60), Modernism Week’s Featured Homes: Hidden Frey, and Maison a l’Orange ($30-$40). Don’t miss your chance to see Temple Isaiah, a guided tour of the spaces in the synagogue designed by Donald Wexler and E. Stewart Williams ($35).
For fans of chrome and fins, today is your day. Head to the Modernism Week Vintage Car Show or catch expert and author Donald Osborne waxing poetic about Stile Transatlantico/Transatlantic, followed by a book signing.
Spend your Monday with Legendary Women of Design. Get a pass for all four presentations ($60): The Sea Ranch and Barbara Stauffacher Solomon ($20), Ruth Adler Schnee ($20), Then and Now Designing Women at General Motors ($20), and Gere Kavanaugh ($20).
Get the scoop on the upcoming events you don’t want to miss.
- See the full list of talks and presentations here.
- Get a ticket for this lecture with US Modernist Radio – the 101 on DIY Modernism Documentation (2/21)
- Snag your pass now for the first-ever Architecture Design Art Film Festival (2/23)
- Tickets still available for Cocktails at the Canyon Country Club (2/21)
- Experience the Golden Age of cinema during Hollywood Revisited: A Glamorous Musical Theater Extravaganza (2/22)
- Visit St Theresa School to view student projects (2/20 and 2/22)