Procrastinators, worry not. There are still Fall Preview tickets available – but don’t wait until it’s too late.
Dawdlers, dilly-dalliers, and laggers, we get you. You love to live life on the edge. Spontaneity is your middle name. And when it comes to planning, fuhgeddaboudit. But you just decided to check out Fall Preview next weekend, and you may be wondering where to begin. Luckily for you, we’ve got the scoop on the Top 10 Fall Preview events you can still get tickets to (listed in order of event time).
For the full and most current list of available events, click here.
1. Premier Double Decker Bus Tours | October 21-23, 2016 | Times vary | $85
This signature Modernism Week event is an annual favorite with good reason! The top of the double decker bus offers the best view in town of architectural gems like William Krisel’s House of Tomorrow, Richard Neutra’s Kaufmann Desert House, Sinatra’s “Twin Palms” estate by E. Stewart Williams, and more.
2. Palm Springs Historical Society – Walking Tours | October 21-23, 2016 | Times vary | $35
Explore the Heart of the City, walk among the Icons of Fashion and Finance, and discover the modernist homes of Vista Las Palmas – also known as the Rat Pack Playground – in a series of curated tours featuring the most stunning midcentury modern structures in the city.
3. Modernism Show & Sale and Early Buying Preview Reception | October 21-23, 2016 | Times vary | $15-$60
The festive Opening Night Party for Modernism Week Fall Preview will treat fellow design enthusiasts to an exclusive sneak peak of the Modernism Show & Sale before it opens to the general public. Shop a world-class collection from 40 premier national and international decorative and fine arts dealers all weekend long! The party is $50 online, $60 at the door. Daily tickets for the show are $15.
4. Afternoon with Hugh Kaptur | October 21, 2016 | 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm | Free
Meet legendary architect Hugh M. Kaptur, AIA – Desert Modernist visionary and architectural contemporary of William Cody, William Krisel and E. Stewart Williams – during an afternoon soiree at the Modernism Week Shop at Destination PSP.
5. Modernism Week Fall Preview Bike Ride | October 22, 2016 | 10:00 am – 1:00 pm | Free
If cars and buses aren’t your speed, slow it down with Hot Purple Energy’s annual midcentury bike ride. Pick up a course map and commemorative Bike Ride t-shirt (first come, first served) to enjoy an architectural tour of Palm Springs neighborhoods.
6. Best of “Modernism With a Twist” Cocktail Party and Program | October 22, 2016 | 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm | $40
Think and drink with us at this entertaining, thought-provoking, irreverent look at modernism. Take five of the most memorable “Modernism With a Twist” presentations from previous Modernism Weeks, add a splash of complimentary cocktails, and you’ve got a recipe for one of the best Happy Hours in town.
7. A Meta-Modern Mashup | October 22, 2016 | 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm | Free
Join Brooke Hodge, Palm Springs Art Museum’s new Director of Architecture and Design, in a special look at artists who are appropriating modernist design icons to create entirely new and evocative pieces, altering the meaning and our perception of the original.
8. Christopher Kennedy’s Palm Springs Pad | October 22-23, 2016 | 10:00 am – 3:00 pm | $20
Get ready for a hefty dose of design inspiration as designer Christopher Kennedy, ATG Stores, Ferguson, and other industry leaders combine midcentury aesthetics with this latest technology in this Palm Springs Pad.
9. Tours of Iconic Palm Springs Residences | October 22-23, 2016 | Times and prices vary
See the piano-shaped pool at Frank Sinatra’s Twin Palms estate or get inspired by the sleek lines, modern landscaping, and crystal blue pools abound on the self-guided Pads, Pools & Patios tour. These tours and more will take you inside some of the city’s most iconic examples of midcentury modern architecture and design.
10. Experience Indian Wells: Architecture, Art, Brunch, Lecture and Private Residence Tour | October 23, 2016 | 9:45 am – 1:00 pm | $75
Explore the award-winning Indian Wells Golf Resort (IWGR) and its art collection, enjoy a sumptuous champagne brunch, and step inside a private residence designed by O’Donnell, Martin Bruner, and Korab Radoni, o2 Architecture on this unique tour.
Photo credit: Jake Holt Photography